he fiction I write tends to be quite often of the science-fiction, fantasy, or surreal variety. I am represented by Cameron McClure at the Donald Maass Literary Agency. If you would like to be put on an email list to be apprised of recent developments, upcoming events, or other fiction-writing news, send me a note through my contact page explaining as much. I promise to be merciful in the length and frequency of such notices. Feel free also to use the contact page just to say hello. If you are interested in having me write something for you, just ask. I like assignments.
- Lost Everything (Tor Books, 2012). Winner of the 2013 Philip K. Dick Award.
- Liberation: Being the Adventures of the Slick Six After the Collapse of the United States of America (Tor Books, 2008). Click here to read the first chapter.
- Spaceman Blues: A Love Song (Tor Books, 2007). Click here to read the first chapter.
Reviews of my books have appeared in The Wall Street Journal, The Village Voice, Time Out New York, The Believer, Edmonton Journal, Las Vegas Weekly, the Onion A.V. Club, Boing Boing, and io9. I have been interviewed on the radio shows The Leonard Lopate Show, Hour of the Wolf, Fictional Frontiers with Sohaib, and Changesurfer; the magazines Geek Monthly and ChronicArt; the websites Bookslut, Amazon, Huffington Post, the Brooklyn Eagle, and the Mumpsimus; and the podcasts The Bat Segundo Show and The Skiffy and Fanty Show.
- "The Syndrome," Subterranean, Spring 2013.
- "The Ashland Waltz," The Revelator, December 2012.
- "The Spleen Brothers," The Revelator, September 2011.
- "The Big Deal," The Dirty Pond, November 2009.
- "Interviews After the Revolution," Interfictions 2, November 2009.
- "The World Is a Voice in My Neighbor's Throat," Brain Harvest, October 2009.
- "A Push-Reel Mower's Rumination on Mowing the Lawn in the Gas-Powered Age," McSweeney's Internet Tendency, August 2006.
- "The Things that Get You," Glimmer Train, spring 2002.
- Also, here are four short stories written at the behest of the Las Vegas Weekly.
- Red Giant, an operetta. Adam Matlock composed the music. I wrote the libretto. The work was commissioned by Rhymes with Opera and performed in New York and New Haven in June 2012.
- One, Two, Three, Shoot, an occasional collaboration with songwriter Drew Bunting. Readers suggest titles. I write a story. Drew writes a song. Readers grade and comment on our effort. An ongoing project.
- The Last of the Real Small Farmers, an illustrated book conceived and edited with Matthew Swanson and Robbi Behr, April 2009.
- Pictures from a Liberation, recorded in March 2011 in Brooklyn, NY. This is a full-length album that uses passages from Liberation as lyrics, performed by the best band I could have asked for and professionally recorded. We're all totally thrilled by the results. If you are, too, please buy a copy; we'd love to do something like it again.
- Here is a reading from Spaceman Blues, also performed with a live band, though recorded not nearly as well.